The Best of the Bunch
1. Sean Payton – Saints – Remember when the Suns were winning and everyone wanted Mike D’Antoni to be there coach, that is where Sean Payton is right now, except he has a ring to prove how great he is.
2. Mike McCarthy – Packers
3. Bill Belichick – Patriots
4. Mike Tomlin – Steelers
5. (Leaving this spot open for Coughlin if he wins his second Super Bowl)
6. Tom Coughlin – Giants – It amazes me that Coughlin doesn’t get that much respect. It seems like he is sitting on the hot seat every year and every year he survives. Do you know why he survives? Because he is a great coach. His teams are well disciplined and great teams year in and year out.
7. Rex Ryan – Jets – I almost put him below the Harbaugh brothers but I like him and his attitude as a coach. I believe in the college philosophy that the coach should be the face of the losses and for the most part, Ryan has accepted the blame.
8 and 9. The Harbaugh Brothers – 49ers and Ravens – You know if you combined them, you would probably have the perfect coach; with John’s specialty in defense, and Jim being the offensive guru.
I would rather have these guys and take a chance at winning then take a risk with a coach who I know will never win a Super Bowl
10 – 14. Ken Whisenhunt – Cardinals, Ron Rivera – Panthers, Pete Carroll – Seahawks, Mike Smith – Falcons, Jim Schwartz – Lions
These guys will never win Super Bowls but are solid coaches
15 – 23. Jeff Fisher – Rams, Marvin Lewis – Bengals, Andy Reid – Eagles, John Fox – Broncos, Norv Turner – Chargers, Marty Schottenheimer – Free Agent, Gary Kubiak – Texans, Mike Mularkey – Jag-uars –(He did some good stuff in Buffalo), Lovie Smith – Bears
24. Mike Munchak – Titans – I like what he did in his one year. Here is a guy who could move up real quick.
The (free agent) coaches who deserve another shot because they did not get a fair shake
25. Todd Haley – He did not get a fair shake, and he deserves another one. This year was riddled with injuries, but last year the Chiefs were great.
26. Jack Del Rio – He could never find a decent receiver. Take away his personnel decision making power and he would take a team like the Cowboys or Vikings to the playoffs every year.
27. Every coach the Raiders had in the 00s not named Bill Callahan. They were all there for one or two years and quickly ushered out. Imagine where the Raiders would be with some consistency. They certainly have the talent. Is it time to get a big name who they can’t kick out so quickly?
28 – 30 Nothing Special but not bad
Romeo Crennel – Chiefs, Jason Garrett – Cowboys, Jim Caldwell – Colts
Dan Snyder damaged my career
31. Mike Shanahan – Redskins – Insert any Redskins coach here that coached under the Snyder regime. Snyder must be the new Al Davis to head coaches.
Coaches that are relatively new to their job but should be given a year or two. On the other hand, you can fire them now and no one will blink.
32. Pat Shurmur – Browns
33. Chan Gailey – Bills – I never liked this hire and I am sucker for a good offensive coach.
34. Leslie Frazier -Vikings
Note- Oakland, Tampa Bay, and Miami need a coach
Would not touch: Mike Sherman – he supposedly had a better roster than McCarthy had and did nothing with it. He couldn’t do anything in college. Wanting Sherman as a coach would be like wanting someone because he walked on Lambeugh Field.